Fast Facts about Pregnancy, Adoption, and Abortion
Did You Know These Fast Facts about Pregnancy?
- There are 6.4 million pregnancies a year in the U.S.
- 49% of pregnancies among American women are unintended.
- At 18 days after conception, the (baby’s) heart is forming, and the eyes start to develop. By 21 days, the heart is pumping blood throughout the body.
- At 42 days after conception (6 weeks), a baby’s brain waves can be recorded, and the baby’s skeleton is complete.
- 79% babies born at 25 weeks’ gestation in the U.S. survive.
Did You Know These Fast Facts about Adoption?
- About 2% of U.S. children under the age of 18 are adopted.
- Nearly 4 in 10 American adults (81.5 million) have considered adoption.
- Since 1987, the number of adoptions annually in the U.S. has remained relatively constant, ranging from 118,000 to 127,000.
- An estimated 10 million couples would attempt to adopt a child domestically if they felt they had a realistic opportunity to do so.
- 48% families considering adoption turn to their houses of worship for support and information.
- A growing number of children are now placed through independent (private) adoption with estimates ranging from 1/2 to 2/3 of infant adoptions.
- 2% of unmarried women at any age place their children for adoption.
- In 1998, 56% of Americans held a “very favorable” opinion of adoption. Today, 63% hold this opinion.
- November is National Adoption Awareness Month.
- Fewer than 50,000 children find families through inter-country adoption each year.
Did You Know These Fast Facts about Abortion?
- “The 3,733 abortions occurring every day in America are … more than all the lives lost in the September 11, 2001 destruction of the World Trade Center.” Randy Alcorn in Why Pro-Life?
- Half of unplanned pregnancies in America end in abortion; 24% of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriage) end in abortion.
- 84% women who have had an abortion say they would have kept their babies under different circumstances.
- Only 1/3 Americans find abortion morally acceptable; 2/3 find it morally wrong.
- An overwhelming number of teens find abortion abhorrent … maybe it’s because millions of other teens who would have been their friends and peers never made it out of the womb.
- In 2008, Planned Parenthood performed 134 abortions for every 1 adoption referral.
- 8 out of 10 pregnancy care centers (PCCs) report that abortion-minded women decide to keep their babies after seeing ultrasound images.
This entry was posted in Extras
and tagged abortion
, fast facts
. Bookmark the permalink
© 2008-2018 Birthmother Ministries, Inc.
Birthmothers® A Friend Loves At All Times
1804 Brooketrail Court, Vienna, VA 22182 | Office telephone: (703) 261-6370 | Fax: (703) 261-6375
If you're pregnant and need assistance, call (703) 261-6370 in metro DC | Toll-free 1 (844)-772-4784 from anywhere
24 hours a day, 7 days a week | We'll be a Friend
Find out how you can help women and families who face an unplanned pregnancy when you log onto www.birthmotherministries.org.