For You From The Word
If one of your countrymen becomes poor and is unable to support himself among you, help him as you would an alien or a temporary resident, so he can continue to live among you. (Leviticus 25:35, NIV)
For You To Think About
These students have chosen life!
Now having chosen life and having chosen to parent, these students face other challenges – for many, the simple question of where to live. While many colleges will allow students to live in dorms during pregnancy, most dorms are not equipped to house infants and children. Other housing options are too expensive or too far away from campus.
If you or someone you know is a pregnant or parenting student, consider these options:
- Work with the Campus Housing Director. These professionals have access to listings and resources you can use so that you can live safely and affordably. They want to help you find a place to live so you can stay in school. Let them.
- Apply for on-campus family housing. One in four student parents attend colleges that offer on-campus family housing, according to the American Association of Community Colleges.
- Investigate maternity homes. Many are located in or near college towns with the express purpose of providing housing for students and their children.
- Consider living with a family member. If you attend college in or near your hometown, weigh the option of living for a short time with a family member. Put into a place a start date and end date, with a plan to live independently when you finish your degree.
- Look into community single parent housing. Family Scholar House (Louisville, KY), for example, offers stable housing for single parents and their children while the parent finishes his or her degree.
If we are eager for pregnant college students to choose life, we must also be willing to help them find a place to live so they can continue with their education.
For You To Pray
We want to remove any obstacles for pregnant students to choose life. Guide these women to the people and resources they need to have stable housing during pregnancy and after giving birth. Show me and others how to help them.
In Jesus name, Amen.