For You From The Word
Children are a gift from God. (Psalm 127:3, TLB)
For You To Think About
According to Barry McLerran and Rick Stout of Demographic Winter: The Decline of the Human Family, “Every aspect of modernity works against family life, and in favor of singleness, small families or voluntary childlessness.” They cite these trends:
- Delaying and severing marriage. Starting later makes it less likely for couples to have families. High divorce rates mean families are smaller.
- Rising cohabitation. Lower commitment is less conducive to building families.
- Putting off family for careers. Conceiving becomes progressively more difficult, particularly for women over age 35.
- Anti-family culture. Today’s media portrays satisfaction derived from travel, work and personal growth, rather than from strong families and strong relationships.
- Voluntary childlessness. Though the world population has declined in the last three decades, talk of an over-population threat has led many to have smaller families or no family. Moreover, 24% U.S. pregnancies end in abortion each year.
In our self-absorption, have we lost sight of God’s gift to us?
For You To Pray
Renew our appreciation for the gift of children and families.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.